Moving to a new country while you study is incredibly exciting, if a little bit daunting. There are many things to think about and managing them all by yourself can be stressful. From getting all your visa paperwork right to bank accounts and health insurance, the list is long. But one thing that shouldn’t be difficult is finding somewhere to live.
Our student team are a friendly bunch, and we’ll support you however we can. If that’s advising on the best and most cost-friendly places to eat close by or deciphering a joke someone told you (we know, UK humour is strange), we’re here to help.
We want you to feel comfortable and supported in your adopted country, even if it’s only for a few years.
We offer the following benefits for international students looking to rent a property:
- No UK guarantor – if you don’t know anyone in the UK, don’t worry. We offer non guarantor tenancies.
- No fees – we’ll never ask for expensive student, finders or set up fees. Our process is completely fair and transparent. £50.00 reservation deposit – this goes towards your full deposit.
- We will only ever ask you to pay the same as our UK-based students, £250.00 with a valid UK based guarantor or a five-week deposit that is returnable upon leaving, subject to property checks.
- Credit score – to be approved for renting, you will need to pass a credit check. This will leave a note on your credit history but won’t affect your credit score.
- Right to rent (R2R) – to prove your right to rent, we ask you to complete an R2R check via the government's website. This is both free and easy to do. To complete the assessment, you will need to provide the following information: your date of birth, a biometric residence permit, a biometric residence card and your passport or National ID card. When you have completed the check, we receive information confirming your right to rent and for how long it is valid.
- All our properties are very close to the University campus, so you are never far away from your lectures and the library.
Haven’t decided if Teesside University is the place for you? The good news is that it is a fantastic place for international students! In fact, it was recently awarded second place out of 96 global universities for overall satisfaction in the International Student Barometer Survey.
It has partnerships in Europe, Asia and the Middle East, as well as offices in China, India, Malaysia, Nigeria and Pakistan. And if you are interested in travelling whilst studying, the University also offers worldwide study abroad opportunities.
But why come to Middlesbrough? Well, the Tees Valley is one of the UK’s best-kept secrets. From the amazing beaches and surfing opportunities to the vibrant bars and restaurants, we’ve got it all.
The University itself is situated in the heart of Middlesbrough, a friendly, thriving town with all the shops, restaurants, cafes, cinemas and museums you could possibly want. The nearby Stockton Arts Centre offers the best in comedy, dance, drama and live music and is often discounted for students.
If art is your thing, the magnificent Bottle of Notes is well worth a visit. Or why not watch Middlesbrough Football Club play at the Riverside Stadium and celebrate with Middlesbrough’s signature dish, the parmo, afterwards!
There’s something for everyone to enjoy in Teesside, and our TS1 student accommodation service is always on hand to answer any questions you may have – just don’t ask us where to get the best parmo; there’s sure to be disagreements!
If you need assistance on where to live while studying in the UK, we can help. Finding you the perfect home while you study here is our speciality. We manage over 200 properties, from smart, luxury one-bed apartments if you prefer your own space to houses that sleep ten people, so you’ll be spoilt for choice!
To find your Teesside student property, visit the range of properties we have available: